Wednesday, February 9, 2011

What can afflictions teach us?

Psalm 119:67 Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I obey your word. 68 You are good, and what you do is good; teach me your decrees. 69 Though the arrogant have smeared me with lies, I keep your precepts with all my heart. 70 Their hearts are callous and unfeeling, but I delight in your law. 71 It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees. 72 The law from your mouth is more precious to me than thousands of pieces of silver and gold.

In an upcoming series at Pleasant View we are going to be examining how God uses grief, suffering, loss, and disappointments in our lives. In verse 71, the psalmist says that it was a good that affliction came his way. This is because before his affliction (verse 67), he went astray.

Big and smaller “hiccups” in life cause us to pause…assess…redirect. How has this been an accurate description for your life? What afflictions have come your way? What have been some of the changes it caused: perspectives, priorities, or attitudes?

How does this change your attitude about afflictions, loss, or disappointments?

No comments:

Post a Comment