Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Wednesday Lenten Reflection 2

The Sound of Silence.
The discipline of silence has two primary applications.

1. Silencing my mouth (choosing to stop my words for a set period of time)
2. Finding silence for my ears and mind. (Removing the noise from my life for a period of time).

Silence requires us to silence the TV, radio, iPod, phones, and all the “technology stuff.” And sometimes we will have to retreat from our relationships for a period of time.

When can you try this type of silence?

Rising in the middle of the night when everyone is asleep.
Try going on a trail, into the woods, or by a lake on lunch break or on a day retreat.
Dallas Willard says this of the discipline of silence, “Only silence will allow us life-transforming concentration upon God.”
God says, “Be still and know that I am God.”
Benefits that I have found in practicing both silence and solitude:

• Listening skills have increasing
• Awareness of God’s presence in everyday life (mundane stuff) has been heightened
• Ability to keep my mouth shut when I have nothing to really add to a conversation
• An appreciation for the uniqueness of people (all made in the image of God)
• Broader perspective on situations and problems that I face
• Growing knowledge that I am more than the activity that surrounds me. I am God’s and that is enough

No comments:

Post a Comment