Friday, January 10, 2014

Hearing from God

A couple in my church are traveling to Toronto this weekend in hopes of hearing a clear direction from God about whether to move their family there to help with a new church and receive training in missionary service. I am so excited for them.  Their experience this weekend reminds me of times in my life when hearing a word of direction from God was my desperate plea.  Here are a few things I have learned in my walk with God during these seasons of decision.


  1. God speaks through his word.  Increasing my intake of the Bible during times of decision has been key for me.  Reading long sections.  Meditating on the word. Memorizing the word.  Obeying quickly what I hear.  These all are vitally important.
  2. Obey what God has already clearly said.  No matter how broad or specific I have heard God speak to me in the past, I am to keep obeying that word until my Master speaks again. God's word has given us all broad directives about what to do with our time, talent, and treasure.  Obedience to these are required no matter where I live or from whom I draw a paycheck.
  3. Promptings and feelings may be helpful but may be deceptive.  Not every feeling, leading, or open doors are from God.  Some may come from the enemy.  I must check my own motives and emotions for selfishness.  If I personally want to do something I can come up with lots of ways to justify "promptings and open doors."  These are as numerous as spiritual beings.  Remember that 1/3 of the angelic beings are under the command of the Enemy.  And they love to lead us astray playing the tune of our heartstrings. Test every spirit to see if it is from God.
  4. If I am led to ask for a sign, then I need to have courage to obey and act promptly if God sends a sign. Weigh your willingness to obey an answer from God before your ask for a sign.
  5. God's timing is very different from mine.  Sometimes things move much too quickly for my taste.  At other times, it seems that I must wait long at Heaven's door before hearing from God.  The key for me has been not to give up.  Wait on the Lord. If he has prepared you that a word is coming, it will come. Listen. Wait. Others are learning about God in watching you as you wait.
  6. His ways require faith.  It is impossible to please him without faith.  His ways may push the limits of reason.  They may require me to let go of lots of other things that I prefer to live by (instead of faith). As I surrender to follow by faith, the path becomes brighter and clearer.  So long as I hold on to other things, I remain in the dark or a dimly lit environment.  The more I trust Him, then the more His ways actually make sense. I am not following a cold map. I am following a loving God who desires the best for me.
I pray for my friends as they embark on following God into the mission field.  Great days are ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment