Monday, July 21, 2014

Devotion July 18

Read Genesis 22


One of the hardest chapters in the Bible to read.  This strange testing of Abraham.  The ultimate test you might say. Do you fear/worship/trust God enough to withhold nothing from Him, even you only son?


It reminds me of the words of Jesus in which he said unless you hate your father and mother, you cannot be my disciple. Unless you give it all away, you cannot be my disciple. 


Devotion and worship of God is to be such a high priority over all other loves and priorities that they look like hate in comparison.


I am always so relieved every time I read this chapter that God provided a ram.  I feel my heartbeat in my throat each time I imagine Abraham drawing back the knife to sacrifice his son. God never would have allowed Isaac to be sacrificed, but through this strange story we see that Abraham truly trusted God enough to obey him no matter how extravagant the directions might be. And God said, "Now I know." Could this very same mountain be the place where Jesus died in place?  I like to think that it might be the very same place. The LORD will provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment