Sunday, May 20, 2018

Day 1 of 40 Days of Kindness

Serve the Server and double tip (30%)

Adapted from a "Tactical Kindness" by Ken Glassmeyer

This is can be done along, as family, or a small group:

I donʼt know if you or your family or friends likes to eat out together but this is a perfect chance to still enjoy each otherʼs company and serve folks that could really use some unexpected kindness. Want to try something new?

Serve your server. I first happened onto this notion a few decades ago when I was dining out with a friend and noticed something disturbing. There was this woman waiting the tables and she did not seem to be having a good day. I stopped her and you could tell that she thought I was just going to be another hassle in this crappy day. I smiled and tried to give her some space. I even pulled out a chair at the table and told her to take a small rest break, telling her that she just looked like she needed to catch her breath. She declined, claiming her manager would kill her. I joked with her said that she could just act like we had a question about the menu. She didn't take us up on it, but just showing her a small amount of kindness and being a bit cordial seemed to lift her spirits. She did stop back at our table several times, especially when she had a difficult exchange with another customer. Each time we greeted her with a knowing smile and gave her some space to decompress. I made sure I tipped her generously. As we left the restaurant, I walked by Tammy's "difficult" table and noticed that the folks left a mere handful of change.  My friend saw me grit my teeth and stare at the nice little pile. Ever since then, I try to make it a point to DOUBLE TIP. That's right. Don't leave ten or 15 percent--have some gusto and try out 30%. Chances are your server is a student or single parent and they can use the money more than you need it. Cut down on your quantity of dining out exchanges so you can have quality encounters if that is what it takes. Showing kindness and generosity to your server is especially powerful if you are dining out with your Bible study group. Keep in mind that most restaurants automatically add a gratuity of 15% to a group table. Imagine the head tilt you get from the manager when you want to speak to him to change the bill, because the tip isnʼt high enough! If you spend time really getting to know your server as a group, the whole staff will get to know you and your band of friends. We often frequent the same restaurants and have built up a rapport with the servers. We now regularly pray for them, right in the middle of the restaurant. God seems to honor these prayers because we have become servants of the servers. It isnʼt unusual for employees to come to our table that arenʼt even assigned to it to ask for prayer because word got around that sometimes our praying actually works!

Have some fun on day one!


--
Myles Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment