Wednesday, April 9, 2014

April 9 Devotion

Read Matthew 6:25-34


When this life is your focus, others are your audience, and wealth/reputation is your pursuit then there is much to be consumed in anxiety about.  Am I getting ahead or falling behind? Do I look and feel trendy/sexy/cool/hip enough? What can I do to recapture my youthful energy and looks? How much should I save so that I will be able to survive a disaster or get to the point that I do not have to work (retire early maybe)?


When we live by the pattern of this world pursing material treasure and the esteem of others, we chase these worries with veracity.  When we are having trouble accomplishing our goals we often turn to distractions to appease: pleasures, drugs, food, and hobbies.

Jesus challenged his hearers to live with a Kingdom of Heaven perspective. Like a bird or flower living free and in the moment without a care we also were created for such carefree dependence on our Heavenly Father. 


This is possible when God is our audience and trusted benefactor.  When our short life is devoted moment by moment to maximize opportunities to give, love, forgive, and trust (items from the Lord’s Model Prayer in chapter 5 of Matthew), we discover freedom.  You are free to put treasure (value) into Heaven when turn from worry to trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment