Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Attitude



The word "attitude" is defined as our angle of approaching life, situations, or people.  I had never thought about this "angle of approach" much until I began learning to fly airplanes.  The attitude of an airplane is the angle of approach in relationship to the horizon.  The pitch of the plane in a nose high attitude, wings level, or nose down attitude controls a great deal. The attitude of the plane affects the rate of climb and decent as well as airspeed.  Whether you are flying at cruise altitude or descending for a landing, your attitude must be adjusted to the proper angel in order to be successful.

If you choose the wrong attitude, then you are headed toward a heap of trouble in flight.  The same is true in life. Your attitude, angle of approach, will determine your results.  And you get to choose your attitude.

In a airplane, there is an instrument in the cockpit known as an attitude indicator.  It is a primary instrument pilots use to determine their relationship with the horizon.  It reveals whether the plane is climbing, cruising or descending in spite of what the pilot sees or senses. The indicator reveals the true attitude.  Here is an image of the attitude indicator.


In attitudes for approaching life, what would be some indicators that reveal our approach to people and situations? Our facial expressions, word choice, work ethic, attentiveness, and punctuality are a few indicators of our attitude about a situation, person, or task.  There are many others.  With this understanding of the word "attitude", our angle of approach will greatly influence the results.  You choose your attitude and you are choosing your future (direction).  Here are a few attitudes which I have come to embrace and utilize in my family and church.  These are seven heart attitudes that we see in scripture which lead to right relationships with God and team mates (family members, church members, co-workers, etc.). These were put together in this form by a friend of mine Harold Bullock, Pastor of Hope Church in Ft. Worth, Texas.


  1. Put the goals and interests of other above my own.
  2. Live an honest life.
  3. Give and receive correction.
  4. Clear up relationships ASAP.
  5. Participate in the ministry/work.
  6. Support the work financially.
  7. Follow leadership within Scriptural limits.
Choosing these attitudes are not always easy, but the resulting level of community and joy are tremendous. Some indicators of the attitudes are revealed by the following questions:

  1. Are others benefiting from my actions or just me?
  2. Am I allowing others to know the real me or I am hiding areas of life in order to remain a stranger?
  3. Do I care enough to tell people the truth of impending dangers they are approaching or do I allow them fall into traps that I could have prevented? Do I consider the critique I receive from others without giving excuses and getting defensive?
  4. Are there people from my past or present that I avoid or have difficulty communicating with? Am I willing to forgive and ask forgiveness? Do I often delay action or readily clear up relationships?
  5. Do I pull my own wait in participating in the task (relationship, project, job,) or do I allow others to carry my responsibility?
  6. Are my resources on the line in seeing the relationship, project, or work move forward? Do I have a vested interest or am I bystander or fan watching from a distance?
  7. Do I respond quickly to obey and trust my supervisors and leaders or do I often look for ways to work around them to get what I want or do it my way? Do I find myself grumbling and complaining or upbeat in following?
These diagnostic questions and many others reveal our true attitude.  

Here are few more attitudes which I have found to be helpful in approaching a good "flight" through life:

  • Helpful
  • Eager to learn
  • Upbeat "can do" outlook
  • Kindness
  • Responsible (a sense of duty)
Attitude.  Let's keep flying straight and upward. And make attitude adjustments as necessary. For me those adjustment are needed daily.


No comments:

Post a Comment