Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Day 2…in the One Month to Live Challenge

The make it count moment: "Am I doing anything in my life right now that requires faith?"

Great question. As I examine my life, so much of what I do everyday, I do by reason, deduction, and by my own abilities and strength.  Certainly God wants me to operate in wisdom making good decisions based on how God works and how this world works.  But what risks that require faith is God inviting me to take that push the limits of common sense and reason?

Also, what would be my biggest regret if I knew my life was over right now?

I would regret not spending more time living in the moment.  Too often, I am trying to get to the end of this moment in order to get to the next one. I often look forward to a certain date or time on the calendar so much so that I miss the purpose of right now. Last night I was walking Ezra (my youngest son) in his Little Tikes car around the church grounds near my home.  We had been walking for what I thought would be a satisfying length of time.  We headed into the garage to get him out so that we could move onto the next events: diaper change, bottle, bed time, TV time for me, check my email one more time, see if the Atlanta Braves won or lost, and get in the bed to sleep. But Ezra had other plans.  I opened the little door to his car to get him out, and he grabbed the door with his hand and closed it back.  Then he grabbed the steering wheel and smiled.

So off we went for few more spins around the church grounds.  This time, however, I took time to talk to him, revv the imaginary engine, and really play.  We turned tight curves, sped up, slammed on brakes, spun in circles, and raced down hills.  I was in the moment with him instead of simply doing one activity to get to the next one.  For a few moments, I began to really live again.

Where and how can I truly act in faith today?

And God may I truly live in each moment today with the people around me instead simply moving from station to station like a machine.



--
Myles Brown

1 comment:

  1. This was truly inspirational for me today. I feel we always get so caught up in looking toward the future that we forget to live in the moments of today. I know in my own personal life I struggle with this, times may be tough and I may want tomorrow to come so that the tough times might get better, but I lose sight of the lessons that need to be learned in this here and now. Thank you for this. (Romans 8:28)

    ReplyDelete